Constitution of BiKiE
Bio Korea in Europe (abbreviated as BiKiE)
To promote the networking and collaboration of scientists of Korean descendants working in the field of biological sciences and biotechnology within Europe, ultimately contributing to the advancement of science and technology.
The group will fulfil the aim by:
- Providing a platform for networking and communication among Korean scientists working in the biological sciences and biotechnology fields in Europe.
- Facilitating the communication and cooperation of the members with the academic research institutions in Europe and Korea.
- Liaising with the industrial and private sector organisations affiliated in the biological sciences and biotechnology industry in Europe and Korea to exchange information and collaborate.
- Facilitating the biological scientific research and advancement through alliance with statutory and non-statutory agencies in Europe and Korea.
- Publicising and promoting the work and achievements of the members in the scientific community in order to increase awareness of Korean scientists in Europe and global stage.
- Supporting and advising the career development of the members.
- Organising meetings, workshops and events.
- Raising funds and receiving contributions where appropriate to finance the work.
- Taking any action that is lawful, which would help it to fulfil its aims.
- Membership of BiKiE shall be open to anyone who is interested in helping the group to achieve its aim and willing to abide by the rules of the group.
- The types of membership of BiKiE are categorized as below.
- Full Membership of BiKiE shall be open to any Korean descendant who currently holds a professional occupation in biological sciences or related fields in a recognized organisation based in Europe.
- Junior membership of BiKiE shall be open to any Korean descendant who is currently enrolled for a higher degree (PhD or equivalent) in biological sciences or related fields in an academic institution based in Europe. based in Europe.
- Associate membership of BiKiE shall be open to anyone who meets the professional and academic qualification of the Full or Junior Membership as described above, but who are based in the countries outside of Europe or are non-Korean descendants.
- Corporate Membership of BiKiE shall be open to any recognized professional organisation (industry, government and academic institutions) whose primary activities involve Biological Sciences or related fields. Other conditions for Corporate Membership can be decided by the Steering Committee and reported to the BiKiE General Meeting.
- Every member with the Full Membership shall have one vote at General Meetings. Junior, Associate or Corporate Member does not have a vote.
- The Steering Committee shall have the power to refuse membership to an applicant, where it is considered such membership would be detrimental to the aims, purposes or activities of the group.
- Registration and termination of membership.
- Any member of the association may resign his/her membership and any representative of a member organisation or section may resign such position, by giving to the Secretary of the BiKiE Management Committee a written notice to that effect.
- The Steering Committee may, by resolution passed at a meeting thereof, terminate or suspend the membership of any member, if in its opinion his/her conduct is prejudicial to the interests and objects of the association, PROVIDED THAT the individual member or representative of the member organisation (as the case may be) shall have the right to be heard by the General Committee before the final decision is made. There shall be a right of appeal to an independent arbitrator appointed by mutual agreement.
- BiKiE shall be managed by the General Committee, which is composed of the Steering Committee, the Advisory Committee and the Auditor.
- The business of BiKiE shall be administered by the Steering Committee which is composed of the Management Committee, the Regional Leaders and the Academic Coordinators. Steering Committee should consist of not less than five (5) and not more than fifteen (15) members. The Steering Committee Members must hold a Full Membership of BiKiE.
- The officers of the Management Committee shall be:
- Chairperson of the Management Committee is elected by the Steering Committee before the beginning of the term. The quorum for the Steering Committee meeting for the election of Chairperson shall be nine (9). The newly elected Chairperson shall be announced to the members within 2 days of election and shall be approved at the group’s next Annual General Meeting. The Treasurer and the Secretary in the Management Committee will be appointed by the Chairperson. The Regional Leaders, Academic Coordinators, Auditor and the Advisory Committee are nominated by at least 2 persons with Full Membership and elected by the members voting at the Annual General Meeting, or if deemed necessary by the Steering Committee, via online voting by the members. Proposal of nomination must be delivered to the Secretary in writing at least four weeks (28 days) before the Annual General Meeting.
- The term of the Chairperson of the Management Committee is two (2) years and can’t be re-elected. Members of Steering Committee can be re-elected (except the Chair of the Management Committee) and can hold dual positions within the Committee. The details of the election procedures will be prepared by the Steering Committee and announced to the members at least 45 days before the Annual General Meeting.
- The numbers of Regional Leaders from different countries will be decided at the Annual General Meeting, as the group shall deem necessary.
- Steering Committee shall have the power to set up working groups such as Web/IT Managers and the Forum Group Leaders, as deemed necessary, who shall be accountable to the Steering Committee.
- Chairperson of the Management Committee raises and organizes the agenda for the Steering Committee Meetings and chairs the Meetings. Regional Leaders and Academic Coordinators also have the power to raise the agenda for the Meetings.
- Any money obtained by the group shall be used only for the group.
- Any bank accounts opened for the group shall be in the name of the group.
- Any cheque issued shall be signed by two nominated signatures.
- The Management Committee will ensure that the group stays within the budget.
- Regional Leaders can be responsible for collection or distribution of cheques or cash to cover the expenses of the group and the members of the region, as instructed by the Management Committee.
- Committee Meetings
- The General Committee shall have a meeting at least once a year. The quorum for a meeting shall be eight (8).
- The Steering Committee shall have a meeting as many times as necessary to manage and decide on the group’s business. The quorum for a meeting shall be four (4).
- Voting at Executive Committee meetings shall be by show of hands on a majority basis. If there is a tied vote then the Chairperson shall have a second vote.
- Voting at all Committee meetings shall be by show of hands on a majority basis. If there is a tied vote then the Chairperson of the Management Committee shall have a second vote.
- The Steering Committee shall be responsible for the group’s decision and be accountable to the members at all times.
- All Committee meetings must be minuted and available to any interested party.
- All Committee members shall be given at least fourteen (14) days’ notice of a meeting unless it is deemed an emergency meeting.
- Annual General Meetings
- BiKiE shall hold an Annual General Meeting at no less than 12 month and no more than 24 month intervals.
- Where possible members shall be notified personally; otherwise notice will be deemed served by advertising the meetings in at least five public places, giving at least 30 days’ notice of the meeting.
- The purpose of the meeting is for the group to account for its actions and consider the regeneration and development of BiKiE according to the group’s objectives. The business of the Annual General Meeting shall include:
- Receiving a report from the Chairperson of the Management Committee on the activities since the last General Meeting.
- Receiving a report and presentation of the last financial year’s accounts from the Treasurer on the finances of the group.
- Approving a new Chairperson of the Management Committee and electing new members of Steering Committee (Regional Leaders, Academic Coordinators, Web/IT managers and any other Working Group).
- Considering any other matter as may be appropriate at such a meeting.
- The quorum for Annual General Meeting shall be at least fifteen (15) persons with Full Membership, of which no more than four (4) shall be Steering Committee members.
- Alteration of the Constitution
- Proposals for amendments to this constitution, or dissolution (see Clause 10) must be delivered to the Secretary in writing. The Secretary in conjunction with all other officers of the Steering Committee shall then decide on the date of a General Committee Meeting to discuss such proposals, giving at least four weeks (28 days) clear notice.
- Any changes to this constitution must be agreed by at least two thirds of those members present and voting at any Annual General Meeting.
The group may be wound up at any time if agreed by two thirds of those members present and voting at any Annual General Meeting. Any assets shall be returned to their providers, if they require it, or shall be passed to another group with similar aims.
- ADOPTION OF THE CONSTITUTION
This constitution has been adopted by the members present at the General
Meeting held on 28 March, 2015.